Monday, December 17, 2012

Old stuff in new spaces

There are always new things one either needs or wants when one moves to a new home.  For example, many people are superstitious about bringing old brooms into new dwellings.  Being one who much prefers a Swiffer sweeper or vacuum, I really don't have an opinion one way or the other when it comes to brooms.  On the other hand, something I am really big on is purchasing a new garbage can each time I move.  Today, 15 days after I moved in, I finally have my new garbage can.

Don't get me wrong, having a garbage can is important, but an empty cardboard box lined with a trash bag will serve as one temporarily.  There have also just been too many things higher on the priority list, like additional sorting out of stuff.  You see, while I've done a really good job over the past year or so when it comes to both condensing and not accumulating additional stuff, there was inevitably more to go through having moved into an apartment two-thirds the size of my former condo (less than that if you consider that I don't have a storage unit or garage in the new place).

With additional sorting comes figuring out what to keep and what to donate.  Most of it's not a big deal - I really don't need three 9" x 13" Pyrex pans.  Some of it's a little harder and I suspect it'll take me a little while to figure out.  There are my egg guys - while I don't really don't want to devote most of a kitchen wall to their display, the thought of giving them away makes me sad.  I can recall many an excited phone call from a sibling who, having found a new egg guy item, wanted to confirm whether or not I'd seen it, whether or not I had it, and if I didn't would tell me not to get it for myself if I came across it.

Then there are more important things like my cats.  While the new place is probably too small for all of us, how do I part with one of them?  I think my solution will be to give them some extra love to keep them calm while they get used to the smaller space, and to get a Rumba to help keep up with the cat hair all over the place (anyone know whether or not they still make Rumbas?).

Priorities...

By the way, I know some of you are anxious to see some pictures.  I'll make that a priority after the holidays!


2 comments:

Markus said...

yes they do they can even mop the floor now.

JNoble said...

You I am believer that in many respect life is somewhat the stuff we accumulate. Whether that be egg guys, friends, or cat kids. I think in your heart of hearts you find the space for the stuff in life that matters (whether that is friends, family or cats) and the rest can be quietly re-purposed (old spouses) ;)