Thursday, December 27, 2012

Impressions

What kind of an effect do you think you have on others?  Does the setting matter?  How long do your impressions last, do you think?  This is one of those topics that I have a tendency to reflect on quite regularly, so I thought I'd share a recent example.

During one of my Music Box performances this season, the quartet was singing in the lobby and a little girl became fixated on us.  I think she was probably most fixated on the tenor (go figure), but she was enthralled nonetheless.  She just stared until we stated singing "Holly Jolly Christmas" at which point she started singing along, or at least mouthing the words.  She knew all of them.

Later on, as we were up on stage singing "Jingle Bells" and getting ready to introduce Santa, she somehow talked her dad into letting her come up to the front of the theater, and she stood in front of the stage for several minutes.

Now, she was very young - probably 4.  Certainly we made an impression on her, but how strong was it?  Will she remember us when she's 10? 20?  When she's up on stage performing herself?  Or is she simply enthralled with performers in general, and so will forget us?  One thing's for sure - I'll remember her.  At the very least, she'll be a great reminder of the impressions that we can make on others when we least expect to.  You never know who's watching, or who you'll influence.

1 comment:

JNoble said...

In the same train of thought, I have been thinking for quite some time lately on the thought of 'life' and what we will leave behind. It is wrapped up in this same thought process you wrote about, in what will people say or think about me at my funeral, one year after I am gone, five? Will anyone in my family talk about me 10, 20, 30 years later? How long will my impression on my own family last, little alone the world that surrounds me.

I am convinced that now is the time to start making that impression. Not when I am old and too broke down to really make an effort at it.