Monday, January 7, 2013

Resolutions - past and future

This time of year it's on everyone's mind - how will I improve in the coming months?  What are my new goals?  If you're organized you've started making progress on your resolution(s), or have at least chosen one.  If you're like me, you're still trying to figure out what to do.  I wonder how many others are in that boat.

I've actually thought about this a lot over the past week.  Well, I've spent considerably more time thinking about why it is that it takes me so long to figure out what to do than I have actually coming up with how I'll improve for 2013.  I've come to the conclusion that things are always so busy for me in December but so calm for the first half of January, that my brain just needs a little bit of a break.  Therefore, I guess my first resolution this year, and every year going forward, is that I don't need to worry about a resolution until January 15th, and it's only the 7th!

Thinking back to 2012, I ultimately resolved to do less of what I felt obligated to do and more of what I wanted to do.  While it was a lofty goal in some respects (the whole short sale situation put a bit of a damper on it), I was at least somewhat successful. I:

-Stopped offering explanations when was unable/unwilling to do something or participate in an activity.  There were some exceptions but for the most part I did well simply telling people I wasn't available for [insert name of activity] and stopping there, rather than including a reason.  I plan on making this the norm from here on out.

-Decided to start on annual projects.  Obviously last year it was shooting.  Though I never really reported on my progress after my safety class in March, I did go out at least a few times on my own.  I never did "graduate" from .22s to 9mm semi-automatics, but at this point feel like I'm ready.  Whether or not I go shooting again, who knows?  I'm glad that I invested at least a little to do something that provided a new an interesting experience for me.

My 2013 project, for those just tuning in, is beer brewing.  I did get my small batch brewing kit for Christmas, and I am registered for "Making Beer at Home" at Brew Camp at the end of the month, so I'm all set there.  Actually, while I'm itching to get started, I want to do it right and wait until after my class - something else I've told myself over the past year is that I don't need to do everything right now.  Anyway, in the mean time I guess I'll need to keep thinking about other resolutions.  Any suggestions?  What are some of your resolutions?  

No comments: