Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thirty Days of Thanks - Day 25

After having spent the afternoon at a baby shower, today I'm very thankful for babies and children.  They provide such a great reminder that there are plenty of good things in this world, and that we as humans have so much to be hopeful for as we continue on life's journey together.  Their innocence, their determination, the sheer delight they can display when they learn new things or figure out how to do something on their own, are not only fun, but amazing to witness.

Children really do amaze me with their personalities, their curiosity and imagination, their intelligence, and their developing talents.  I have so enjoyed being one of the leaders of the Chicago Donauschwaben Kindergruppe for the past 6 1/2 years, in part because it's an amazing thing to watch the kids grow from the 3-year-olds who cling to their parents into confident little dancers.  Even more amazing is getting to see them join the youth group as awkward and then more sophisticated young adults.  I'm not quite old enough to be teaching the kids of those I've taught yet, but I imagine that it will provide an even more rewarding feeling.

My niece and nephew are incredible joys as well.  I can recall very clearly the moment I realized that my nephew knew who I was and was happy to see me, and that was when he was still just a baby.  Now we're great friends and I look forward to playtime with him and my niece.  I'm looking forward even more to early next year when more nieces and nephews arrive.

Finally, I'm thankful that other people are having them so I don't have to!  WPCS' upcoming concert is called "It Takes a Village," and I'm so happy to be able to be a member of that village for so many kids.

No comments: