Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thirty Days of Thanks - Day 17


Very early on this month I talked about how thankful I was for singing, about how I felt more alive doing it than I did doing almost anything else.  Today I'm thankful for the two groups I've had the pleasure and privilege of being part of, each for several years, and the incredibly talented musicians I've gotten to know and been able to work with as a result.  People often ask me about my experiences in each of the groups, and my standard answer is that I love each one dearly, but for completely different reasons.

Six and a half years ago when I moved back to Chicago, looking for groups to audition for was one of the first things I did.  It was #3 right after finding an apartment and a job.  I assumed that to be a part of a high quality group would mean singing with a very large group, which I wasn't thrilled with, but was certainly better than not singing at all.  Then I found Chicago Chamber Choir.  I was horribly nervous auditioning - it'd been a long time - but I was lucky enough to get in, despite not being able to be at the call-back.  The warm-ups at my first rehearsal made me feel like I was absolutely meant to be there, and each season as we start back up after the summer off, Timm's signature opening set of vocalizes brings that feeling back.  

CCC has done a couple of recordings since I've been in the group, the most recent being Earth Wind & Choir: Songs of Nature.  and this last one has some incredibly beautiful moments.  After a discussion last night with a friend about Eric Whitacre and Morten Lauridsen, I can't wait to share CCC's takes on Water Night (warning - super cheesy slide show in this clip) and Sure on This Shining Night - the former is absolutely stunning, and the latter just so simple and beautiful.  I've taken the fall and Christmas concerts off, but loved being in the audience for the recent Halloween concerts, am very much looking forward to hearing the Bach next month, and can't wait to get back for the spring!

Wicker Park Choral Singers wasn't even around six and a half years ago, but you wouldn't know it to hear us now.  While I think of CCC as more of a classic choral ensemble (whatever that means, and I don't think I'm quite sure but that's the word that comes to mind) I think of WPCS as a vibrant and energetic community.  WPCS has a strong commitment to sharing the highest quality choral music with anyone and everyone who wants to hear it.  Hearing us sing and watching Mark conduct, one would think that at least he get paid for it, but the group is completely volunteer from the top down.  The result is, at least from my perspective, a very strong sense of ownership from each and every member of the group.  

We're starting up season five, and events planned this December include not only our regular concert at Wicker Park Lutheran Church (December 8), but singing at the Garfield Park Conservatory's sounds of the season concert (December 2).  If you can't make either one of the concerts, you can tune in to WFMT, or stream it live at www.wfmt.com the evening of December 10.  It won't be only Christmas music either.  In fact, I don't think there will be much of that at all.  There will be a lot of variety, with music ranging from Rachmaninoff to Durufle to several world music selections.  Be sure to tune in!

No comments: