Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Thirty Days of Thanks - Day 13

Many people living in Chicago or cities farther north will begin to complain when things start to get colder around this time each year.  While I'm not a big fan of bitterly cold weather, and I certainly don't appreciate having to dig my car out of the snow, today I'm thankful for the seasons.  I've especially felt that way for the past couple of mornings as the air, despite having a chill that we'll need to get used to again, has been incredibly crisp.

With the onset of autumn in the Midwest, we're treated to amazing colors as the trees begin to lose their leaves.  While I'm always a little sad to see that period cut short, and I can always wait a little longer for the first snowfall, there's something magical about seeing the trees glisten as the sun comes out after a light dusting.  After a long winter, the first buds on the trees and blades of grass to cut through the earth are a most welcome sight - the days getting longer is always something to look forward to as well.

Maybe my favorite time of year, though that tends to change every once in awhile, is the summer.  The summers in Chicago, where the days are generally not too hot and the nights are perfect for concerts in the park, strolls along the lake, and drinks on the patio, are simply glorious.  To that end, I know many people would welcome summer-like weather year-round, but I'd argue that without winter, or the rest of the seasons for that matter, we wouldn't appreciate it nearly as much! 

No comments: