Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thirty Days of Thanks - Day 21

Today, a day on which my Metra train was a little late, I am thankful for public transportation.  Why, you ask, am I thankful on a day I experienced a transit snafu?  Let me explain: normally I walk from the Metra station to work, a trip that even at my quick pace takes about 20 minutes.  I really don't mind, in fact, I like the exercise.  However, with my train delay today I would've been late for work had it not been for the bus system, which got me to my building in just under 10 minutes.  Hooray CTA!

While most people would agree that the system in Chicagoland could be improved, we have it so much better than so many other cities.  Most of us are lucky in that public transportation is, for the most part, convenient, quick, and affordable.  Even those who have longer commutes have routes that are possible along public transportation - in other cities, that's simply not the case.  Non-work travel is generally easy to do as well.  For example, last week as I was going apartment hunting, I took Metra to work, the Brown line up to Lincoln Square, the bus over to Jefferson Park, and Metra back home.  Great connections we have on the north side, huh?

One little note I'll add about Chicago's system specifically is that I still think the El is neat.  The exhibit at the Chicago History Museum with the original El car from the 1890s is one of the coolest newer ones there (by newer, I mean as of the museum's renovation in 2006).  Every once in a while while riding the train I'll see a tourist or two who is obviously excited about doing so.  Sometimes it's a little kid, but adults get that way as well.  It's easy to take for granted living here, so just remember Chicago - we're just cool.  :-)

No comments: