Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Thirty Days of Thanks - Day 28

This is a post that I've been wanting to post for most of the month, it's just been preempted by some more immediate things - today I am thankful for libraries.  Where else do we have access to more books than we can read in a lifetime?  There are also terrific reference materials, all kinds of periodicals, audio recordings and videos.  Internet connection down?  The library has your back.  Need to print something?  You can do that there as well.

Need something your library doesn't have in-house?  There's inter-library loan for that.  Though I don't use that service much anymore, I did take full advantage of it while still in college.  Need to find rare publications or do research on obscure topics?  You may have to go to a specialty library, but you'll find what you need.  I remember spending several hours in the Chicago History Museum's library while in high school in order to research a demolished Frank Llyod Wright complex called the Midway Gardens.  That afternoon solidified my love of the city and its history.

Libraries are just fantastic.  For the past six and a half years, the Palatine Public Library has served me well, and I'm looking forward to all of the resources the Chicago system has to offer!

No comments: